A Typical Day
Our typical day includes an authentic Montessori work cycle where the children are given the opportunity to select activities from all curriculum areas.
8:30 – 8:45
Arrival begins promptly at the time published, and we encourage you to arrive on time. Timely arrival will help your child settle in to the day’s activities smoothly and will give him the benefit of the full 3-hour classroom time.
Montessori Classroom Time
This time period is the gem of the day. Maria Montessori (and thousands of teachers after her) observed that children can perform at remarkable levels if they are given at least a three hour period of uninterrupted free-choice time in a carefully prepared environment. The three hours give them plenty of time to ease into and out of extended periods of concentration at their own pace. They can follow their natural rhythms and get engaged in activities that expand their cognitive skills, their social skills, and their motor skills. During this work cycle, children:
- choose activities from all areas of the classroom
- develop social skills such as making friends, resolving conflicts, and ‘grace and courtesy’.
- choose quiet time to meditate, relax, or just enjoy being by themselves and nurturing the peacefulness within.
- have access to nutritious snack throughout the session. Children are encouraged to listen to their internal cues for hunger and serve themselves a snack as needed.
- receive one-on-one or small group lessons on developmentally appropriate activities of interest to them. The teacher makes careful observations about the child’s readiness and prepares individualized lesson plans for each child. Read more about our curriculum here.
11:45 – 12:00
We ask you to honor your published dismissal time as children can get quite concerned if a parent does not show up when expected.
What About Lunch and Recess?
Because we currently offer only a half-day program at Trillium Montessori, we do not have a lunch period scheduled into our day. Our goal is to maintain the Montessori 3-hour work period and for you to get the most bang for your tuition dollars. Nutritious snacks will be available throughout the morning for the children to eat as desired.
You may want to take this opportunity to have a lunch date with your child once in a while and then play at a public park. Some families like to head out for a group playdate right after school.